Monday, 5 September 2011

L.W.D

Summer is over and soon enough, it will be time to rummage the bottom of your wardrobe for your L.B.D, but not before we say an official goodbye to the spring/summer trend; the L.W.D - the Little White Dress! 

Unfortunately for me, I no longer own a L.B.D. I had a 'fabulocious' LBD a few years ago, which was a classic as far as I was concerned, it was a 1960's inspired baby doll dress in chiffon and lace; with puff-sleeves and a high-collared neck line covered in lace (anything covering the neck is a plus for me) and it was little. I wore the dress once, and never to be worn again because I put it on a quick wash in the washing machine rather than to take it to the dry cleaners, so it shrunk! I blame a friend I had at the time for if it wasn't for her wanting to meet a guy for a date, then I would not have had to chaperoned her (one of our many adventures to NY and taking numbers from guys to find our way around, using your 'Britishness' and female presence, but at a price!), to have worn the dress to begin with nor would I have put the dress in the washing machine. Nonetheless, it was a fabulocious dress that I have fond memories of, but the sad thing is, that I have not owned another since. Anyway, this post is about the craze for LWD, not my mishaps for failing to read washing labels.

As the obvious colour worn by the bride on her wedding day, "white" represents purity and a virginal nature, but for us shallow folk, it was a craze that made you feel like the sun had just come up, something that is a difficult concept to visualise living in the UK, but it's a colour that made you feel fresh and brand new.


Dolce & Gabbana's Little White Dresses/Spring 2011

Pretty cute little white dresses naturally had taken its course on the runway, it being the season of weddings where couples express their undying love for each other, from Amsale's contemporary take on wedding gown design, to Lily Pulitzer's 60' inspired mini shift dress of love and daydreams, with floral lace prints and Erdem's romanticism inspired collections of sheer lace. The L.W.D made its stamp on the summer acting as much as a stylish, elegant yet chic look to its equal the Little Black Dress. 

Amsale Presents the Little White Dress, NY Bridal Market '11


Lily Pulitzer Spring 2011 Catalogue
Erdems lacy white dresses
Erdem, S/S 11
An instant hit with the celebrities, they were seen in full force making a statement in their little white dresses. Here are a few of my favourites:


Toni Braxton looks stunning in this amazing Mychael Knight dress. Without an ounce of excess fat in sight, she is to die for in this 'itsy bitsy teenie weenie' white body con styled ensemble with a ruffled neck long sleeved dress. This has my name written all over it, but I could not wear it without 'Bridget'. 



Toni Braxton wears Mychael Knight at the launch of their new show 'Braxton Family Values'


The new Transformers star, Rosie Huntington-Whittle, steps out on the red carpet for the 2011 Maxim Hot 100 party, in a Max Mara dress from the 2011 RTW collection in this jaw dropping backless dress with cut-out sides. 






Transformer star, Rosie Huntington-Whittle, in Max Mara's Spring 2011 collection 


No stranger to making a statement or flaunting her beauties, Rihanna is renown for wearing bold colours even if it is white and she looks sexy, but sophisticated in this ruched dress. 


Rihanna



Gywneth Paltrow has been seen dotting about in a selection of LWD's


But let's  face it, most of us cannot afford what the magazines say we should wear, so here are a few more affordable yet 'chic' creations.


V for Vendetta by Aqua £88


Image 1 of TFNC Deco Embellished Chiffon Dress

TFNC Deco Embellished Chiffon Dress @ Asos £60 

Image 4 of ASOS Bodycon Dress with Embellished Panel

ASOS Bodycon Dress with Embellished Panel @ Asos £55

4 comments:

  1. Toni Braxton dress is to die for!!!!! I want it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it absolutely "Fabulocious!"? I am in love with it. If I find a dress similar to it, I am not going to hesitate; it's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! What is such a classic! And Toni Braxton looks amaaaazing! Wow.

    xo,Cortnie
    http://stylelustpages.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never actually owned a LWD! Although all these dresses are lovely, I'll definitely be on the hunt for some next summer.

    http://bowtiedbeauty.blogspot.com/

    xx

    ReplyDelete